Sunday, January 1, 2012

That I May Know Him

A brand new year has once again arrived.  As I evaluate my spiritual life in light of this fact, one phrase, one cry, comes to mind for 2012: "that I may know Him."  Know Him.  Not just know about Him.  Not just know Him vaguely.  Not just know Him here and there on a surface level.  Really know Him.  And so, it's for each of the following that I beg Christ for:

An Undivided Heart

"Teach me Your way, O Lord, and I will walk in Your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear Your Name." (Psalm 86:11)

An Eternal Mindset


"If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.  Set your minds on things are above, not on things that are on earth.  For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.  When Christ, who is your life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory." (Colossians 3:1-4)

No Idols


"Little children, keep yourselves from idols." (1 John 5:21)
Idol - anything that intrudes into my relationship with God and takes His place as a focus of devotion

A Clinging Soul


"My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me." (Psalm 63:8)

A Panting Heart


"As the deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for You, O God.  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.  When shall I come and appear before God?" (Psalm 42:1-2)

No Provision for the Flesh


"But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and give no provision to the flesh, to gratify its desires." (Romans 13:14)

A Waiting Soul


"I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in His Word I hope; my soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning, more than watchman for the morning." (Psalm 130: 5-6)

Steadfastness in Prayer


"Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving." (Colossians 4:2)

A Passionate Heart


"I rise before dawn and cry for help; I hope in Your Words.  My eyes are awake before the watches of the night, that I may meditate on Your promise."

It is my prayer that as we head into this new year, God would remove all distractions from our lives - anything that is hindering our gaze from Him alone.  Let's not be lukewarm, carnal, earthly-minded, run of the mill Christians.  Let us not be content with anything less than absolute, whole-hearted, passionate devotion to the Lord who gave everything for us.  We can't, but He can.  Purpose to know Him this year, to seek Him as you've never sought Him before, and to lay down your life for the glory of Christ Jesus.

In closing, this quote by Adoniram Judson perfectly sums up my desire for 2012: "May it be a year in which your walk will be close with God, your frame calm and serene, and the road that leads you to the Lamb be marked with purer light.  May it be a year in which you will have more largely the Spirit of Christ, be raised above sublunary things, and be willing to be disposed of in this world just as God shall please."




      

No comments:

Post a Comment